A great way to troubleshoot Windows issues is by starting with a clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/
Generic troubleshooting: https://planetaryannihilation.com/support/troubleshooting/
Windows System Requirements
|Windows 7 Service Pack 1||Windows 10 latest|
Update Your Windows GPU Drivers
Please make sure your graphics drivers are up to date by downloading your drivers directly from the graphics card manufacturer websites. Drivers from Windows laptop manufacturer websites are often outdated.
- Integrated Intel GPUs: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
- Nvidia GPUs: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- AMD GPUs: https://www.amd.com/en/support
Alternatively use the graphic card manufacturer auto detection and update tools:
- Nvidia GeForce Experience: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/
- Intel Driver & Support Assistant: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html
- AMD Driver Auto Detect Tool: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-driver-autodetect
Multiple GPUs or Switchable Graphics
If your gaming laptop or desktop has multiple graphics cards, please make sure you have updated drivers for both cards and that you have configured both PA and CoherentUI to run on your high performance dedicated GPU.
- AMD: https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/DH-017.aspx
- Nvidia: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings
Windows Planetary Annihilation Data Directory
The default location is in your local app data directory:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation
Your user AppData directory is hidden by default so you have a couple of options:
- paste the full path into the address bar of an explorer window
- show hidden files and folders: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files
Windows Incompatible Software
|ASUS / ROG GameFirst||May cause network lag resulting in unit stutter / jumps with both online and offline servers.|
|Firewall / Security Suites||May cause connection failures and crashes.|
Disable or add exceptions for SSL / protocol scanning / filtering for PA.exe, server.exe and CoherentUI_Host.exe
|On Screen Displays (OSD)||May cause black screens and crashes.|
MSI Afterburner / Rivatuner
ASUS / ROG Sonic Radar
|3D API / OpenGL Interceptors||May cause black screens and crashes.|
Lucid Virtu MVP
|Sound Enhancers||May cause no sound.|
ASUS Sound Studio
Nahimic for Gamers
Windows Crash Dumps
PA generated crash reports with logs (and dxdiag on windows) are usually automatically uploaded to our crash reporting system.
When reporting crashes it also helps if you include the crash ID from your logs (same as the filename of the generated minidump):
The default location for crash dumps generated by PA is now the logs directory in your Planetary Annihilation data directory.
The environment variable MINIDUMP_DIRECTORY can be used to change the location where PA crash minidump files are saved and will also generate more detailed (and larger) minidump files.
Windows Error Reporting (WER)
The default location for mini crash dumps created by Windows Error Reporting (WER) is:
WER crash dump files are named like:
Windows Environment Variables
To set environment variables on Windows use:
- Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Environment Variables (or search for environment variables if using Windows 10).